Public Service Announcements
Our Public Service Announcements are multimedia messages for promoting a health-related cause. The Health Advocacy Database at Miami University is organized by one national and one international policy for human health. Please see below:
1. National Policy
Healthy People 2020 (HP 2020) is a prevention effort in the United States with an aim to create a healthier Nation. In 2010, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services launched Healthy People 2020 with four overarching goals for Americans to improve:
- General Health Status,
- Health-Related Quality of Life and Well-Being,
- Determinants of Health, and
- Health Disparities.
Healthy People 2020 tracks 1,200 objectives organized into 42 public health topics.
2. International Policy
The Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) are an initiative of the United Nations with a specific focus on alleviating poverty and improving human health and education across the globe. The SDGs are described at https://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/sustainable-development-goals/ and were originally called the Millennium Development Goals, adopted by the United Nations in 2000. All 193 United Nations member countries and at least 23 international organizations have agreed to achieve these international development goals by the year 2015 and beyond. The eight goals are aimed at:
- eradicating extreme poverty and hunger,
- achieving universal primary education,
- promoting gender equality and empowering women,
- reducing child mortality rates,
- improving maternal health,
- combating HIV/AIDS, malaria, and other diseases,
- ensuring environmental sustainability, and
- developing a global partnership for development.